2018-19 In-School Performances
Muse Machine is proud to present the In-School Performances for the 2018-19 season. Find the descriptions and details below. You’ll also see the button to schedule performances in your high school or middle school (form includes pricing information).Schedule 2018-19 in-school performances In-School performance evaluation Tips for Advisors Preparing for In-School Performances
NOBODY BUT YOU: UNLEASHING THE POWER OF YOUR AUTHENTIC SELF
Featuring Chicago-based musician/performer Jess Godwin
Live electronic looping and soulful piano come together in this upbeat performance that empowers students to accomplish anything themselves! A Chicago-based singer/musician who has performed alongside Kristin Chenoweth, Jess Godwin’s laugh-out-loud journey to becoming a self-made artist teaches students that they don’t need to wait around to create – the technology is right at their fingertips. Selected students will be invited on stage to build the world premiere of their own songs!
• Available Dates: OCT 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 17, 19
• Curriculum Connections: Music, Language Arts, Wellness
• Technical Requirements: A cleared 20’ by 20’ well-lit space, 2 students to help load in and out, access to a 3 pronged power strip during the performance. Bottled water for two. This performance works best with students seated as close as possible to the performer. The performer will arrive 30 to 60 minutes prior to the program and will need access to the performance space on arrival.Introduction Evaluation Ted Ed Lesson
ROMEO AND JULIET
Featuring Cincinnati Shakespeare Company
Romeo and Juliet fall instantly in love only to discover they come from feuding families. In defiance of their lineage, amidst the animosity of friends, and in concealment from their mentors, a young couple risks everything to be together. CSC is proud to present this modern, abridged adaptation to prove its continued relevance in the lives of young and old alike.
• Available Dates: OCT 1, 2, 3, 8, 9; APR 22, 23, 24, 29
• Curriculum Connections: Language Arts, Theatre
• Technical Requirements: A cleared 20’ by 20’ well lit space, 2 students to help load in and out. The performers will arrive 60 minutes before the performance.Introduction Evaluation Ted Ed Lesson
Featuring Dayton Contemporary Dance Company
We Rise weaves contemporary dance with music and text as a mirror to society. Sometimes triumphant and other times dark, the American experience has remained hopeful. We Rise offers sensory connection to the human experience through pop culture and the ideas of scholar/writer Bell Hooks, contextualizing American history using social commentary, historical references and voices of change.
• Available Dates: OCT 10, 19, 24; DEC 7; JAN 25; FEB 13, 22; MAR 13, 22; APR 5, 10; MAY 1, 3, 8, 10, 15, 17, 22, 24, 29, 31
• Curriculum Connections: Dance, Music, History
• Technical Requirements: An open performance area of no less than 20’ wide by 20’ deep; cleanly swept floors with no nails or protrusions as the performers are in bare feet; a small desk or table; two chairs; access to a nearby power outlet; a 10-20 foot, three-prong extension cord; a sound system with amplifier and full-range speakers capable of both compact disc and iPod functionality (please inform Muse Machine if this system is unavailable); HDMI cable; aux cord; hand-held microphone and a mic stand; music stand; bottled water for 8 dancers; private area for dancers to change (restrooms are not adequate for changing). The company will arrive 30 to 60 minutes prior to the program and will need access to the performance space on arrival.Introduction Evaluation
Featuring Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra
The Greater Dayton Brass Trio is back and ready for another adventure of eclectic music and edutainment. This time, Brian, Rich and Mary are channeling the MythBusters to test historic musical myths and explore the science of sound. There will be action, there will be great music and there may even be an Elvis sighting!
• Available Dates – Mornings Only: OCT 9, 19, 23, 26; NOV 6, 20; DEC 4, 7, 11, 14, 18; JAN 4, 8, 11, 15, 18, 25, 29; FEB 1, 8, 12, 15, 19, 22, 26; MAR 22, 26, 29; APR 2, 5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 30; MAY 3, 7, 10, 14, 21, 24
• Curriculum Connections: Music, Science, History
• Technical Requirements: A clean 20’ by 24’ well-lit performance area; one student to help load in and out; sound system with three mics; six music stands; bottled water for three; three armless chairs and a small table for props. The performers will arrive about 25 minutes prior to performance time and will need access to the performance space on arrival.Introduction Evaluation TED Ed Lesson
THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE
Featuring Dayton Opera
Join Dayton Opera on the high seas as the Pirate King plots to trap poor Frederic as a member of their crew. Add the “very model of a modern Major General” and Frederick’s love interest, Mabel, and you have rip-roaring and humor-filled mayhem. The four artists-in-residence of Dayton Opera, directed by Luke Dennis, will perform this fast-paced, abridged adaptation.
• Available Dates: JAN 14, 16, 17, 21, 23, 24, 28; FEB 4
• Curriculum Connections: Music, Theatre, Language Arts
• Technical Requirements: A clean 20’ by 20’ performance area; a recently tuned piano and bench or a full-size, 88 key electronic keyboard on a stand with a chair; a microphone on a stand; access to a nearby power outlet; room temperature bottled water for five; a microphone for Q and A. The company will arrive 30-40 minutes prior to the program and will need access to the performance space on arrival.Introduction Evaluation Ted Ed Lesson
2018-19 IN-SCHOOL PERFORMANCE CALENDAR
Nobody But You (Kick-Off Performance) • Jess Godwin
SEP 5-7, 10-14, 17-21; OCT 8-12, OCT 15-19
Romeo And Juliet • Cincinnati Shakespeare Company
OCT 1-5, 8-12; APR 22-26, APR 29 – MAY 3
We Rise • DCDC
OCT 10, 19, 24; NOV 2, 7, 16, 28; DEC 5-7; JAN 16, 25, 30; FEB 8, 13, 22, 27; MAR 13, 22, 27; APR 5, 10; MAY 1, 3, 8, 10, 15, 17, 22, 24, 29, 31
Musical Mythbusters • Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra
Tuesday & Friday mornings, OCT – MAY
The Pirates Of Penzance • Dayton Opera
JAN 10-11, 21-25; JAN 28-31; FEB 1; FEB 4
Schedule 2018-19 in-school performances
Performance Space Survey
Advisors: You may have already been asked to respond to a very brief, multiple choice survey about the space where your in-school performances occur. If you have not already taken that survey, you may do so below. We are adding exciting elements to the in-school performances and this information will be tremendously helpful for our new shows – thank you!
The last question will direct you to a particular worksheet. This will be an interesting task for two reliable students with a sizable tape measure and they can complete it in approximately a class period. Use the links below to open and print the worksheet as suggested by your survey. After your students complete the worksheet, you (or they) may conveniently submit measurements below.