9 to 5
January 11-14, 2024 at the Victoria Theatre
Cast audition schedule
Fri, Sept 29…..4:30-6:00pm or 6:00-7:30pm…..Open young cast auditions
Health & Safety
This year, every student in the production must bring a face mask to every rehearsal. This year, every student in the production must bring a face mask to every rehearsal. While we hope to rehearse unmasked as often as possible, the producer will determine whether the company is required to wear masks based on the current risk level of the community and surrounding communities. Participants will also be required to make frequent use of hand sanitizer.
Who we are looking for
People who want to act, dance and sing! Don’t worry if you’re not experienced because we look favorably upon those with potential. There’s room for many levels of talent. Many performers are needed – this is a large ensemble musical comedy and we need all types!
Muse Machine Membership
Whether or not you need to be a Muse Machine student member can be a tricky question for younger students — here’s how it works:
• If you are in grades 2, 3 or 4, you do not and cannot become a Muse Machine member (and membership is not required for you to audition for the musical).
• If you are in grade 7, you do need to be a Muse Machine member to audition for the musical. You may join at musemachine.com/member – either find your school on the list or join near the bottom where it says “My School Is Not On The List.”
• For grades 5 and 6 the answer varies (because whether those grades are part of” elementary school” or “middle school” is not the same for every school) . Please check the list of schools at musemachine.com/member and if your school is listed there, check that form to see if your grade requires membership. If your school is not listed on that page, then you do not need to be a member to audition for the musical.
Both as a performance and a creative experience, Muse Machine’s musicals are stronger when they reflect the community and world around us. Students of all races and ethnicities are cast in roles regardless of what the original actors may have looked like. In our version of a show, for example, different members of a family may be performed by actors of different races and ethnic backgrounds.
How the auditions for grades 2-7 will work
Request an audition appointment at musemachine.com (under the “Musical & Concert” tab, select “Info”). The earlier you request an appointment, the better your chance of getting the time you want. Arrive approximately 15 minutes before your appointed time. Your appointment will consist of a workshop, followed by a group movement and dance audition. Your entire appointment may run approximately 90 minutes.
What to bring with you
• Muse membership card or a note from your advisor confirming your Muse membership (if you are a member – see membership details above).
• Four copies of a recent picture of yourself. Your face should be clearly visible (computer print-outs are fine)
• Please wear clothes in which you can move and dance comfortably.
• Please wear flat sole shoes such as Keds or Vans (not high-traction shoes).
Most of the performers in our shows have not had previous dance training! We are looking for personality, rhythm and character, not just training!
What do I need to prepare in advance?
• Nothing! The workshop will review some helpful performing tips. then you will be taught a brief dance routine. You do not need previous dance experience – the format of the audition is simply “do what I do”.
What will be expected of me if I am cast?
You will need to be available for rehearsals at the Muse Machine studio, Monday – Thursday from 4:30—8:30pm, Saturdays from 10:00am—5:00 pm, and Sundays 1:00—5:00pm. On many occasions (especially in October and November), the young cast members will meet only one or two days a week (and on some weeks, not at all), typically for no more than 90 minutes. That frequency and length begins to evolve in December and January. We will not rehearse on most Fridays. Each actor will only need to attend selected rehearsals. A complete schedule will be available at the time notification letters are sent. We are extremely flexible with school conflicts for other performances, etc. There can be no rehearsal conflicts January 4—14. You must be willing to try new things, work hard, meet new people and have fun!
• Be confident—if you make a mistake, just continue! If you need to backtrack a bit before resuming, that’s fine. As long as you’re basically prepared, mistakes don’t count against you. We’re friendly and we understand that auditions make most people a little nervous.
• Personality counts—show yours! Personality can be a huge factor in making the cast. We cannot emphasize this enough!
Location of the auditions
The Muse Machine third floor offices and fourth floor studio in the Metropolitan Arts Center (next to the Victoria Theatre near the corner of First and Main Streets); 126 North Main Street, Dayton, Ohio 45402. Look for the awning which says “The Loft” and follow the signs to sign in.Request an audition appointment for grades 2-7