Job Title: Secondary Schools Program Coordinator
Salary Range: $20 per hour
Location: Dayton, OH with some remote flexibility
Revised: May 30, 2023 by RER
Position Type: Part-Time; 20 hours per week; Seasonal possible, if desired
Reports to: Director, Secondary Schools Program
About Muse Machine
Muse Machine is a nationally celebrated arts education organization serving more than 76,800 students and their teachers each year throughout central and southwestern Ohio and Kentucky since 1982. It’s a place where imagination and inspiration meet teaching and learning. We envision schools transformed by the arts—every young person beginning a fulfilling lifelong journey as an arts maker, learner, audience, and patron—every teacher engaging deeply with outstanding artists, arts professionals, and artistic work—every family creating vivid memories of shared arts experiences. Because of the connections between Muse Machine schools and Dayton’s rich artistic resources, we imagine a vibrant future for our arts organizations, artists, and community.
Muse Machine’s programming centers around giving students the opportunity to experience performances both in- and out-of-school, engaging teachers in arts-integrated professional development, sparking the imagination of children in elementary residencies, and pairing talented and diverse students with accomplished theatre professionals to produce an annual musical and bi-annual summer concert.
About the Position
The secondary schools program coordinator advances the mission of Muse Machine through relevant arts programs for students and teachers in middle and high schools. The coordinator is responsible for operational success, program delivery and quality control, logistics and evaluation, school recruitment, and a high level of customer focus. The coordinator works closely with the program director, executive director, scheduling coordinator, and other staff to ensure a strong collegial work environment and seamless delivery of the Secondary Schools Program activities and services. The coordinator works closely with teachers and artists.
The new secondary schools program coordinator will:
- see the big picture of Muse Machine and understand how program details fit into Muse’s overall concept.
- possess solid decision-making skills based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement.
- be highly detail oriented.
- demonstrate experience working with multiple partners to successfully deliver school-based programming.
- enjoy developing relationships with teachers and artists and coaching people for successful engagement.
- be able to easily navigate multiple projects/programs, while maintaining accuracy and quality.
- be a data-driven, collaborative, motivating, methodical, and accountable team member.
- be a thoughtful and active listener.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable combination of education, training, and experience.
- Personal or professional experience in the arts and/or education.
- Experience in project management and/or marketing education programs.
- Develop and manage timelines for the secondary school program activities, including in-school performances, student memberships, club advisor meetings, advisor training and support, and in-school artist professional development.
- Recruit and retain schools throughout the year by maintaining a robust calendar of school visits and community engagements.
- In-School Performance Series: Recruit, contract,train,and manage the contributions of freelance artists and partner arts organizations for Muse’s in-school performance series. Assess program quality through regular visits to performances and communicating with teachers and artists.
- In-School Performance Series: Collect and analyze data from post-performance evaluations.
- In-School Performance Series: Assemble content for secondary schools marketing pieces: i.e., participant testimonials, marketing copy, photography, mailing lists, etc.
- Muse Club Advisors: Develop advisor training and support to improve the functioning of Muse Machine clubs at partner schools.
- Muse Club Advisors: Execute logistical needs for club advisor meetings: i.e., catering, roomset-up, volunteers, equipment.
- Maintain the accuracy, privacy, and confidentiality of client information in Microsoft Access database.
- Monitor program spending within budget constraints. Maintain financial documentation to assist and contribute to fiscal reconciliations, secondary grant applications, and final reports.
- Submit program data for DataArts and grant reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Competencies, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to articulate and model Muse Machine’s mission, vision, and values with a passion for and understanding of arts education
- Ability to engage donors, staff, volunteers, and community stakeholders
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to establish relationships with authenticity and integrity
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed while being highly collaborative
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects, establish priorities and timelines, and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of federal and state legislation affecting charities
- Commitment to implementing ethical industry standards
- Ability to work efficiently in Microsoft Office Suite and Client Relations Management (CRM) systems
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Apply by June 14, 2023 for first consideration. Position open until filled. Candidates are urged to visit the Muse Machine website.
Muse Machine provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Even if a student isn’t interested in pursuing a career in the arts, Muse Machine provides an exposure to the artistic and creative world. I thank Muse Machine for supporting me in every endeavor and for continuing to be a life-long friend.JILL PAICE MUSE ALUM AND STAR OF BROADWAY’S AN AMERICAN IN PARIS